Wednesday, November 11, 2009

one hit wonders

This will date me somewhat, but when I was probably what would now be called a "tween", I heard the song "I Saw Him Standing There" by Tiffany.  Remember her?  Redhead?

Anyhow.  She didn't write it.  I didn't know that.  It's -- of course -- a Beatles song.   (My parents were quick to point this out.)  I couldn't procure the record album (yes -- LP) quickly enough, and I probably came close to wearing it out.

(My parents probably remember this better than I do, as I have blocked out many of those embarrassing adolescent memories.)

On a recent trip to the library, my elder lad rifled through the CDs and found one with fun dinosaur graphics on the jewel case cover and the words "dinosaur sing along" in the title.  It's as cheesy as it sounds.  The lads' favorite track on the CD is "Walk The Dinosaur."  Because I just don't think I can honor repeated requests for playing this particular rendition without having a conniption, I have sought out the original (or a reasonable facsimile) and am giving careful consideration to offering it as an alternative  -- and discreetly returning the dinosaur sing along to the nearest library's drop box.  Seeing the lads gleefully dancing around and singing along far supersedes any visceral reaction I may be inclined to have in response to the song's umpteenth repetition.

Whatever became of Tiffany anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails