Wednesday, December 09, 2009

favorite illustrators: Chris Raschka



We've read several books illustrated by Chris Raschka, my favorite among them being The Hello, Goodbye Window,which won the Caldecott medal. It's the charming story of a girl at her grandparents' house, and for us it cultivates memories of the love we feel and fun we have when we visit our parents (our bambini's grandparents) and grandparents.


Now we've found another fun one: his retelling of Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf.  The prose he employs lends itself well to reading aloud; it's a pleasure for both the one reading and the one(s) listening.  Come to find out, Raschka has several other books with a musical theme.  I'll be searching the library card catalog for those...

(dating myself again.  Do they even keep an actual card catalog at the library anymore?)

I digress.  Peter and the Wolf is a cornerstone of the children's musical lexicon (I'm always looking for an excuse to use that word "lexicon."  It's so choice.).  How neat to have it in this fresh visual form as well.  Now I must find my recording of Leonard Bernstein narrating the piece...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails