Tuesday, March 16, 2010

offline

Few things cause me to go from zero to 60 on the consternation scale like computer troubles -- specifically, being offline.  I am inclined to bang my head against the wall in utter frustration when this happens, though I (usually) restrain myself only because I know in my rational mind (such as it is) that doing so will not get me back online.

This morning I went offline, not voluntarily, but because of some hardware issues that have since been resolved.  A similar thing happened on Good Friday last year, and by God's grace I was able to recognize (after some initial internal grumbling and kvetching) the opportunity presented to me.  I chose on that day to view it as an imposed Internet fast and offer it up as a sacrifice, and I did so again today; it's a particularly fitting Lenten mortification for me when I am not in a position to fast from food on account of my gestating status.

Having the Internet connection is something of great importance to me for a myriad of reasons, not the least of which being the connection it affords me with people I love and value.  This connection is vital to me.  Without it, I easily turn fussy or even anxious. 

The most important connection for me to have is that with Christ.  I don't need an Internet connection to maintain that (though having one does help edify this connection by providing access to a wealth of spiritual resources). In the fulfillment of my vocation as wife and mother, Christ is my most important resource.

Still -- I'm so glad to be back online -- even if it is past my bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails