Sunday, January 09, 2011

standing by

Some friends of ours are going through one of a parent's worst nightmares: their son is ill with cancer.  He is two years old.  He was diagnosed with leukemia two days before Christmas.  

I saw his mother this morning at Mass.  She came by herself while her husband stayed home with their son, whose immune system is now depressed by the chemotherapy treatment he is receiving and therefore can't really be in a public gathering like that.   She went home to take over for her husband so he could go to a later Mass.

When I saw her in the Communion line and noted that she was there alone, within me there was a sudden and strong propulsion to go sit with her.  I waited until after Communion was finished and the Blessed Sacrament reposed, then I rose from my pew and ducked into hers.

I don't know if she wanted any company.  Maybe she just wanted that brief amount of time to sit in the presence of Christ and be strengthened by the grace, peace, and comfort only he can provide.   I only hope my musical pew maneuver didn't overpower her need for space. 

Whenever something like this happens, we all want to *do something* to help -- to fix it, really ... to make it all better.  All I know to do is pray and to make known our willingness to do whatever the family needs to help get through this trial.  Whatever that means, we're standing (or sitting, as the case may be) by...

Please keep them and all families in similar situations in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails