Saturday, January 23, 2010

with friends like these

When my elder lad was my only lad, I signed us up for a baby sign language class.  The teacher was a young mom with a daughter a few months younger than my lad.  We became friends, and through her I met another vibrant and deeply committed mother whose daughter shares my elder lad's birthday.  We three and a couple of other mamas they knew with children the ages of ours formed a preschool co-op group for our young children and met regularly for a couple of years.

The friendships I have forged with these mamas are of immeasurable value to me.  They are what I like to call "like-minded mamas," ones who I respect and admire for many reasons -- chief among them being the respect, love, and devotion they give to their children (and model to their children to expect in return as their children are able to give such), and the obvious joy they derive from mothering.  Even though I don't see these ladies nearly enough anymore (we no longer participate in the co-op since they meet on one of the days my lad is in preschool), I think of each of them often and continue to draw inspiration from them. 

Tonight as I sat decorating little cakes for my lass's family birthday party tomorrow, I received a call from my sign language teacher friend mama.  It was past the hour for calling just to visit (though I always welcome her calls), so I knew immediately that something had to be wrong.  It was.  It is.  The mother whose girl shares my lad's birthday is hospitalized with bacterial meningitis.   She is six months pregnant and also has a two-year-old lad.  My friend's condition is very fragile.

Please keep her, her family, loved ones, and caretakers in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails