Monday, February 15, 2010

green clean *OR* minor triumph o'the day

Fun science experiment for the elder lad and me: on one shirt stained with berry/apple/purple carrot juice have said lad spray  regular old dishwashing liquid diluted with water.  Rub the fabric against itself.  Let that sit while reconstructing Lego vehicles, fulfilling drinkable yogurt requests, and/or attending to the personal hygiene needs of one or more children.  Return to the stained shirt, rinse it out, then have the lad spray white vinegar on it.  Observe the color change from deep blue (so absurdly lovely in an unwelcome way on an icy blue and white striped shirt of the 18-24 month size range*) to an equally unwelcome pinkish-purplish color.  Marvel as that starts to fade.  Then spray hydrogen peroxide on the color wonder and exchange amazed looks with your little laundry cohort.  Continue spraying vinegar and peroxide alternatively until nothing remains of the stain.   (!!!)  Treat with your favorite pre-treatment regime and launder as usual.

Boo-yeah!

(and please pass no judgment on the prudence -- or lack thereof -- of my giving this fruit juice cocktail to my wee lass.  I did it in the name of vitamins and with very little chocolate in my system.  The stain potential did cross my mind, but I decided to risk it, being as I was low on chocolate.)

*I make it my policy to purchase children's clothing -- primarily shirts or dresses -- as big as I can get away with in the name of longevity.  This particular shirt I bought for the lass when she was about six months old.

Sincere thanks to this stain guide for the tools and sequencing of the stain removal. 
 
Around these parts we try to use natural cleaners like baking soda, white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, castile soap, and tea tree oil whenever possible, both from an environmental stewardship perspective and one of safety (and so we can involve the littles in the homekeeping duties as appropriate).  We still keep cleaners up out of the bambini's reach, but if they were, say, to get a hold of a bottle of white vinegar, it would have far less of a health impact than glugging a gallon of bleach (not that I want this to happen, of course, and take reasonable precautions to prevent it). 

On several levels, this counts as my minor triumph of the day: heretofore hopeless stain now just a memory *and* a teachable moment for my ever-curious lad -- science and laundry care all in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails