Thursday, February 24, 2011

playlist: quiet time

Just right for rainy days like today; siesta, Happy Hour, or bedtime; or whenever anyone's emotional temperature is perilously high...
    • You Are My Sunshine :: Elizabeth Mitchell my Papa Jack sang this to me, as I have to both my now almost 18-year-old sister *and* my bambini 
    • Ladybug Picnic :: Elizabeth Mitchell This is a sweet, slower version of the rootin' tootin' tune first seen on Sesame Street, now immortal on YouTube 
    • The Bells of Ireland :: Dan Zanes A beautiful, humble tune 
    • Hush Little Baby :: Dan Zanes fresh lyrics and color commentary make this familiar lullaby both endearing and entertaining 
    • Good Night, Good Night :: Dan Zanes I always take a deep, cleansing breath as this song gets going. 
    • Foster: Slumber, My Darling :: Edgar Meyer, Yo-Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor, & Alison Krauss from Appalachian Journey, a gossamer song -- a mother's lullaby -- now almost achingly poignant as I sit rocking my own bambini 
    • All Eyes On You :: Justin Roberts part poetic observation of childhood, part prayer for a child 
    • Firefly Lullaby :: Recess Monkey I'm not one to catch the winged creatures, but a field trip of this nature is just my speed.  
    • I Will :: The Beatles This song could so easily be about my beloved and me, traversing the same college campus for years but not crossing paths until much later -- or did we? 
    • Better Together :: Jack Johnson One afternoon when the elder lad was much younger (and should've been napping), I put this song on, and he said "this is a nice, quiet song." 
    • Fruit Jar :: Justin Roberts featuring Nora O'Connor gentle acoustic guitar and gentle encouragement to keep on keepin' on 
    • A Place For Us :: Dan Zanes & Friends An extended instrumental coda at the end of this beautiful dreamer makes for peaceful, hopeful imaginings. 
    • Tiny Telephone :: Recess Monkey The elder lad thinks of his aunts and uncles when he hears this song. 
    • From Scratch :: Justin Roberts  a masterful child's point of view with no shortage of wisdom and wistfulness 
    • Smile Smile Smile :: Dan Zanes & Friends one of my most favoritest Dan Zanes songs -- and that's saying a lot 
    • I Will Be Your Friend :: Guy Davis a rugged, charming, musical expression of self-giving and charity -- lessons never too young to learn 
    • Rocketship :: Justin Roberts some things to think about as one is drifting to sleep... 
    • Side By Side :: Dan Zanes & Friends I sang this one to my baby sis, and then (years later) to the elder lad who could not be convinced to sleep any other way. 
    • One Tiny Light :: Recess Monkey As if it isn't difficult enough to fall asleep -- and stay asleep -- as it is, who can resist investigating a twinkling star outside one's window?   
    • Linger For Awhile :: Dan Zanes & Friends Wouldn't we all love to live in a neighborhood like this, where everyone is out until way past bedtime just visiting? 
    • Banana Pancakes :: Jack Johnson We're big on pancake breckies around here. 
    • Little Raindrop :: Justin Roberts waiting on rain to come and water the freshly-planted garden... 
    • I've Just Seen A Face :: Dan Zanes covering a Beatles favorite, Dan Zanes style 
    • Belle :: Jack Johnson short and sweet; par les vouz Francais?  (me neither) 
    • Apple Tree :: Justin Roberts little people someday grow up, God willing into loving, giving beings 
    • I Will :: Alison Krauss some more of Alison Krauss's sweet singing would be just lovely right about now... 
    • In My Life :: The Beatles To sum things up, all roads have led to this moment with these precious people.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails