Friday, November 27, 2009

how does that work?

I grew up with a family that had two boys (the younger of these two is my age), a girl, and then another boy.  Our fathers have been friends since high school.  Our families have spent many a Thanksgiving, Easter, and "family birthday" together. 

The elder lads in that dear family seemed to have an insatiable need to take things apart, figure out how they worked or were assembled, and then put them back together again.  I never really identified with this need, at least not the intensity with which it consumed them, but now I see it in my own lads.

My elder lad just took all the wheels off one of his favorite trucks with a screwdriver he found in our Go To drawer.  Then he put them all back on -- in the right places and everything.

I may not fully identify with the need to understand the complexities of some item's construction, but as the mother of these charming lads, I make it my mission to figure out acceptable ways for them to satisfy their curiosity.

Those lads I grew up with are as close as I've come to having brothers  (and their sister is, for all practical purposes, my sister too) until I gained two when I married my beloved.  Seeing my two lads in action brings back lots of memories of these longtime friends.  

They'd be so proud of my screwdriver-wielding lad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails