Friday, January 22, 2010

baby girl's birthday

Our wee lass is one year old today.  She came into this world around seven in the morning (all three bambini have been born between midnight and seven a.m. -- this might explain some of their night owl proclivities).  The five of us spent the day together beginning with Mass; we will celebrate with the extended family this weekend.

I've been thinking about the day of her birth all day long, actually starting last night when I noticed that we had for dinner last night what we'd had the night I'd gone into labor with her.  (I remember quirky things like this.  It's part of my charm.)    The sequence of events leading up to her arrival are so finely etched in my memory that it's been like reliving the day for me. 

So it has been for each of my children's birthdays, beginning with my elder lad's first birthday.  It was then that I realized how profoundly important a birthday is to the parents of the child whose birthday it is.  It's equally if not more meaningful to them, as it marks a life-changing day in each of the parent's lives as well as the child's. 

Since becoming a mama, I've been more mindful of taking my parents into consideration when celebrating my own birthday.  It's not just about me.  It's probably more about them.  It's a day to thank them for the myriad gifts of self they have made throughout my life and continue to make in a new way now that I am a parent myself, and to think about all the ways in which God himself cares for each of us as a loving father.

Our lass has brought us such joy in the year she's been a part of our family.  She's walking now, signing a little (especially "more"), and has taken to chatting on the telephone in the cutest way.  From the moment we first heard "it's a ... girl!", she has endeared herself to us in a way all her own.  I pray she will always know how cherished she is by so many, and that by our examples of love shown to her she will come to know of the infinite love her heavenly father has for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails