Tuesday, January 12, 2010

favorite picture book series: My First Little House


One of our favorite series of picture books is My First Little House, from Laura Ingalls Wilder's original Little House books.  These picture books are marketed for three- to eight-year-olds, (though they appeal to all ages), and give a glimpse of Laura and Almanzo's (Wilder -- her future husband) lives as children.  Lately we have out Christmas in the Big Woods, but we've also liked Sugar Snow, Summertime in the Big Woods, Going to Town, Farm Boy, and Going West, among others.


Thinking about the life Laura and her family lived on the frontier helps me keep things in perspective some days.  When her mother is busy making cheese or butter or even just doing the wash load and caring for her three children (later four) without the conveniences of modern life (such as an enclosed vehicle to travel in), it can snap me out of any pity party I might be inclined to host for myself. I draw great inspiration from her. 

My bambini marvel at the way of life Laura and her family lived (as do I) and enjoy the beautiful illustrations. As they grow up, I look forward to sharing the original Little House books with them if they're interested.  These picture books are a wonderful introduction to that innocent, hard-working world of Laura's childhood over a century ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails