Saturday, May 01, 2010

clearing the decks

I am by no means a neat freak.  I'm actually a pretty skilled architect of stacks.  I've made it a crusade of mine, though, to rise above the temptation to put things into stacks to deal with "later" and instead process them as they come in.  This applies to such things as mail and schoolwork and hasn't filtered down to all the areas of my realm (like closets).

I loves me a nice, clear, clean counter top.  This is not to say, however, that they are always free of clutter, as they tend to attract such matter. When the counter tops fill up with stuff, I get kinda antsy.  As it stands today, the counters need some lovin'.  They're not at their best after this past week.  (They're not alone in that regard.)

This waffling back and forth between letting things pile up (in the closet, for example) and having a (next to) zero-tolerance policy on counter top clutter is a fairly recent phenomenon and remains a mystery to me about myself.  But then again, I do eventually reach a point when I will tackle the closet and reign in the mess.  It's just less of an ongoing maintenance process like the one I employ on the counter tops.

There's something cathartic about clearing the decks.  I'll try not to let the compulsion get out of hand...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Bonnie, this was so funny for me to read. I'm such a piler, especially in my closest. I often think, it's a good thing that I haven't connected with "my beloved" because this would make him want to pull his hair out -- or run in fear (sometimes I want to). Then again, maybe not. Is your Mister okay with your piles? Is he a piler?
    Miss you!
    AM

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's not so keen on the piles and serves as great inspiration for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails