Sunday, May 16, 2010

graced and gifted

We returned to the parish where I worked as music and liturgy director before motherhood for the Confirmation of my elder lad's Godmother's 17-year-old younger lad.  The presence of the Holy Spirit was keenly felt in the reverent, relevant liturgy as these young people took ownership of their faith. 

It's been five years since I departed that post, and every time we've been back to visit it's startling to me seeing how the kids I remember as little like my own are now have grown into adolescents and young adults.  I'm sure it will likewise be the case for my own children -- before I know it, they'll be "big kids" like the ones I saw last night.

That parish community will always have a special place in my heart.  They were very gracious to me as a young single gal with a decent amount of musical experience and an aptitude for the liturgical side of things, but lacking in experience serving a parish in this capacity.  I owe them so much for their kindness and willingness to bear work with me.  For their warm welcome and the sense of belonging we feel whenever we return, I will always be grateful.

As they move forward, I pray these Confirmandi (the newly Confirmed) will always be mindful of the gifts and fruits with which they've been sealed in this Sacrament, this visible sign of God-given Grace, and draw upon these to become the people Christ calls them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails