Friday, March 04, 2011

by popular request

Storytime is a highlight of our week.  When we don't make it, the two-year-old lass is not pleased.  She has gone so far as to conduct her own, "reading" aloud from the book in her hands and asking "can everyone see the pictures?"

Between impromptu storytimes and time spent in the rocking chair paging through books either on her own or on either my lap or my beloved's, the lass has developed a short list of library books that she asks me to request repeatedly, including
  • Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon by Patty Lovell, illustrated by David Catrow.  The diminutive title character might be vertically challenged, but thanks to the encouraging words of her equally-diminutive grandmother and plenty of chutzpah, this sweet little girl deflects the taunts of one Ronald Durkin and wins the admiration of all she encounters.
  • Sugar Would Not Eat It (reviewed here).  Along with Molly Lou Melon,
  • the Toot & Puddle books as well as Holly Hobbie's Fanny and Fanny And Annabelle, about a plucky young lady who sews and fashions her own doll when her mother flat out refuses to buy her a Connie doll, who Mama says is "just too... much".  I think I might find myself in a similar position someday, and I would *love* to create homemade dolls with my lasses instead. 
The lass also carts around three ballerina-themed books from my sister in a toddler-sized owl backpack (along with sundry other "necessities").  At virtually any time, one may be assured of a willing storyteller in a pint-sized package.  Does it get much better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails