Tuesday, March 22, 2011

live long and prosper

Were I to label my parenting style, I would probably call it "Golden Rule Parenting" more than anything else -- though I probably wouldn't label it now (I would have in my first few years of mothering).  When I think seriously, though, about the kind of parenting I wish to practice and need some pointers on how to accomplish that, the best answers come from prayer and meditation on how Christ would want me to treat him in the little people whose care he has entrusted to me.

In the quest to hone and refine my mothering skills, I've read a lot of parenting books (though not Dr. Spock's iconic tome).  Sometimes I need some gentle reminders (or reassurance) from "experts" to help me keep my priorities straight and my insecurities in check.  One such person I look to for this is St. John Bosco, who dedicated his life to the education of disadvantaged boys.  He took a three-pronged approach to his "preventive system" of discipline: reason, religion, and kindness.  Don Bosco's religious order continues to educate young people and serve Christ in the underprivileged and suffering among us to this day, almost 125 years after his death, with this same approach. 

Of all the experts out there whose influence can have significant impact on my parenting (good or bad) and, by extension, the interactions I have with my bambini, Don Bosco is arguably among one of the best.  He is a fixture in our family litany of saints.  When I find myself on thin ice, I will often ask for his intercession on my behalf.  When I happen to get something right handling some delicate situation, I can only imagine Don Bosco's prayers might've helped in that accomplishment.

Don Bosco, pray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails