Thursday, May 27, 2010

morning offering

Mornings can be very dicey prospects around here.  Other times they're very pleasant.  It's when one or more children (or parents) awaken with less than sunny outlooks that we all struggle to gain some traction.  Sometimes I'm able to get up and get myself together before the bambini stumble in for some wake-up snuggling.  Being able to get my wits about me first thing helps me immensely, but it doesn't always happen.  Sometimes I'm the last one ready, having hit the ground running fielding drinkable yogurt requests and changing diapers.

I'm so grateful for the blessing we've had of a stay-home existence these early years.  We have been able to have relatively easygoing mornings most of the time -- meaning we can allow everyone to wake up on their own terms and not have to be somewhere at an early hour (though doesn't mean things are always cheery and relaxed; sometimes they are far from both).  I can't even imagine trying to get myself and multiple children ready for work, school and/or day care every week day.  I think my blood pressure, which is usually and blessedly pretty good, would be off the charts (sometimes it is anyway).  With the elder lad starting kindergarten in a few months, I know this free-wheeling morning routine is going to change dramatically. 

As often as I think to when I awaken (sometimes the manner in which I am awakened interferes with this presence of mind), I try to offer a prayer of thanksgiving for the new day and for the many blessings and gifts we've been granted.  I ask God to be with us, pray for his will to be done through us, and offer the day and all it contains -- ups, downs, and everything in between -- in service to Christ.  Then I seek the intercession of our guardian angels and patron saints.  It's my version of a morning offering.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it has been the same for us all these years. I truly wish the first thought that came to my mind each morning was a prayer. Just make the best effort to make your offering the first time it comes to your mind, even if it's already lunchtime! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Maurisa! I find your blog so lovely to read -- both from a family life perspective and one of a wife & mama living out her vocation. You are an inspiration! Blessings to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails