Sunday, March 11, 2012

less is more

One of the most oft-given tips I've read by mothers of many for reducing the stress of caring for a young family is to keep things simple -- one way being to keep clutter at bay and to pare down the family belongings.  A couple of years ago I read about 40 Bags in 40 Days, a Lenten decluttering challenge aimed at ridding oneself of excess baggage -- so to speak -- on the outside as an external companion to something similar happening on the inside on the Lenten journey to Easter.   As I've always been one to hang on to *stuff* (much to my Grannie's chagrin), I thought this might be a fitting exercise for me.

Two years later, I'm sort-of giving it a go.  I started before Lent, though, so I'm not sure I'm entirely within the rules.  I don't think that matters, though.  If so, I'm not playing the game.

I'm using the idea of purging 40 bags' worth of *stuff* from this household as a conduit to detaching from things that keep me from attaching more securely to God.  It's also an exercise in stewardship -- the use of God's gifts in his service and to that of others. 

It's clearing the decks taken to the next level.  I might not finish by the time Easter arrives.  As with everything else around here, I'll keep chipping away at it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails